Letter: Praise the postman

Recent “attacks” on our United States Postal Service prompts me to write about a life-altering experience between our postman Jeff and our small Havanese dog Max, who just turned 15 and is deaf and completely blind. I had left Max to visit my husband Jim in the hospital and thought I had secured the property, in and out. I was mistaken. On my return, I found no Max anywhere.

Answering to a knock on the front door, there was our postman Jeff. He pointed to a lower step where stood my amazing dog Max of the propeller-tail fame, who appeared alright. I had feared that our beloved deaf and blind dog was dead.

Jeff and Max had become good friends over time. Jeff usually manages to squeeze in a minute or two visiting with Max when on his rounds. If not for that relationship, Max might not have followed Jeff home. Knowing Max is blind made a big difference.

Of course Jeff couldn’t leave his heavy mailbag and carry Max, even if Max would let him. What Jeff did was talk in a calm and reassuring manner, walking slowly so that Max could follow him, which he did.

Jeff said what he’d done was no big deal, all in a day’s work. (Not how I see it.) Thanks forever, Jeff.

Other Americans have told tales of being rescued and even their life being saved, giving credit to USPS personnel. It’s fair to support the view that dog is man’s best friend, and mail carriers are dog’s best friend too.

Praise the postman and postwoman, too.

Coral Coffey, Salt Lake City

Submit a letter to the editor



from The Salt Lake Tribune https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/letters/2020/10/09/letter-praise-postman/

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post